Oncomedicine 2017; 2:66-70. doi:10.7150/oncm.18003 This volume Cite
Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS) for Local Drug Application: Future Methodology
1. Pulmonary Oncology Unit, “G. Papanikolaou” General Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
2. 7th Respiratory Medicine Department and Asthma Center, Athens Chest Hospital 'Sotiria', Athens, Greece.
3. Medical Clinic I, ''Fuerth'' Hospital, University of Erlangen, Fuerth, Germany
4. Department of Respiratory Diseases, Changhai Hospital/First Affiliated Hospital of the Secondary Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
5. Department of Interventional Pneumology, Ruhrlandklinik, University Hospital Essen, University of Essen-Duisburg, Essen, Germany
6. Division of Pulmonology, Department of Clinical Therapeutics, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens School of Medicine, Alexandra Hospital, Athens, Greece.
7. Department of Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
8. Second Pulmonary Clinic, “Sotiria“ Chest Diseases Hospital, Athens, Greece.
Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death among cancer patients with a higher rate for man, but soon also for women. New targeted treatments are already being used with the current addition of immunotherapy. However, for many patients there are several adverse effects or issues that emerge during therapy and there are cases where we would like to have local treatment options such as; in the case of microwave ablation, radiofrequency laser, argon plasma and cryotherapy. Endobronchial ultrasound system (linear) could be used and it has been used for local drug delivery into thoracic lymph nodes and lung cancer tumors.
Keywords: endobronchial ultrasound, lung cancer, local therapy