Oncomedicine 2017; 2:121-125. doi:10.7150/oncm.20980
Malignant Pleura Mesothelioma: Clinical Perspectives
1. Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Westpfalz Klinikum, Academic Educational Hospital, Mainz University, Kaiserslautern, Germany;
2. Pulmonary Department-Oncology Unit, “G. Papanikolaou” General Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece;
3. Department of Cardiac surgery, 401 General Military Hospital, Athens, Greece;
4. Department of Internal medicine, 401 General Military Hospital, Athens, Greece;
5. Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Medical School, University Hospital of Patras, Patras, Greece;
6. Department of Surgery, Red Cross Hospital, Saarlouis, Germany;
7. Department of Neurosurgery, University Medical Center Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany;
8. Department of Oncology, 424 General Military Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece;
9. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology-Gynecological Oncology, University Hospital of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece;
10. Cardiothoracic Surgery Department, General Hospital of Athens "Evangelismos," Athens, Greece;
11. Pulmonary Department-Oncology Unit, “Theageneio” Anticancer Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece;
12. Thoracic Surgery Department, “Theageneio” Anticancer Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece;
13. Research Laboratory and International Collaboration, Bon Secours Cancer Institute, VA, USA;
14. Surgery Department, “Interbalkan“ European Medical Center, Thessaloniki, Greece.
Grapatsas K, Leivaditis V, Zarogoulidis P, Dahm M, Iliadis IS, Tsilogianni Z, Koletsis E, Dimopoulos E, Vasilikos I, Rizos G, Gazos E, Baikoussis NG, Tsiouda T, Barbetakis N, Man YG, Kosmidis C, Kotoulas C. Malignant Pleura Mesothelioma: Clinical Perspectives. Oncomedicine 2017; 2:121-125. doi:10.7150/oncm.20980. Available from http://www.oncm.org/v02p0121.htm
Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a primary health issue which preoccupies the health professional community worldwide. The main cause of the disease is the environmental exposure to asbestos. Because of the lack of relevant symptomatology, the disease is usually diagnosed at an advanced stage. Despite the progress in the therapeutic means, the mortality of the disease remains high. Τhe optimal approach to the disease consists of the preventive efforts to remove asbestos materials, the early diagnosis and proper early therapeutic treatment. Despite the fact that new cases of MPM are diagnosed, it is believed that the incidence of the disease is declining. In this study an overview of the epidemiology, etiology, mechanisms of pathophysiology and symptomatology of MPM is carried out.
Keywords: Malignant pleural mesothelioma, Asbestos, Epidemiology, Pathogenesis, Symptomatology.