First and Best Treatments for EGFR and PD-L1 - Competition for First Line Therapy in Adenocarcinoma
1. Pulmonary Oncology Unit, “G. Papanikolaou” General Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece;
2. Co-Director, Laboratory of Proteomics and Protein Sciences, Veterans Affair Health System, Baltimore, MD, USA;
3. Sana Clinic Group Franken, Department of Cardiology / Pulmonology / Intensive Care / Nephrology, “Hof” Clinics, University of Erlangen, Hof, Germany;
4. Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA;
5. Department of Respiratory & Critical Care Medicine, Changhai Hospital, the Second Military Medical University, China;
6. CarbioThoracic Department, “Theageneio” Anticancer Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece;
7. Surgery Department, “Interbalkan” European Medical Center, Thessaloniki, Greece;
8. Pharmacology-Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Clinical, Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki;
9. Respiratory and Critical Care Institute, Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi, Al Maryah Island, Abu Dhabi - UAE;
10. Oncology Department, University General Hospital of Larissa, University of Thessali, Larissa, Greece;
11. Pulmonary Department, “Theageneio” Anticancer Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece.
Lung cancer is still diagnosed at advanced stages since there are no blood markers or efficient prevention programs. Moreover, lack of early disease symptoms do lead patients for early diagnosis. In the past ten years novel targeted and non-targeted therapies have entered the market for advanced stage disease patients. Epidermal growth factor receptor and anaplastic lymphoma kinase agents are considered an excellent choice as first line treatment for adenocarcinoma. However; in the past few months PD-L1 >50% patients can be treated with immunotherapy as first line treatment. Moreover; second generation tyrosine kinase inhibitors are already on the market in the case of disease relapse in EGFR and ALK positive patients. In the current mini review we will focus on current up-to-date data regarding the best choice between tkis and immunotherapy as first line treatment for adenocarcinoma.
Keywords: EGFR, ALK, PD-L1, Immunotherapy.