Oncomedicine 2017; 2:14-23. doi:10.7150/oncm.17097
Epidemiology, risk factors, symptomatology, TNM classification of Non Small Cell Lung Cancer. An overview while waiting the 8th TNM classification
1. Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Westpfalz Klinikum, Kaiserslautern, Germany.
2. 1st Department of Internal Medicine, 401 General Military Hospital, Athens, Greece.
3. Pulmonary Department-Oncology Unit, “G. Papanikolaou” General Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece.
4. Medical Clinic I,''Fuerth'' Hospital, University of Erlangen, Fuerth, Germany.
5. Cardio-Thoracic Surgery Department, “Saint” Luke, Private Hospital, Panorama, Thessaloniki, Greece.
6. Cardio-Thoracic Surgery Department, “AHEPA” University General Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece.
7. Thoracic Surgery Department, Theagenio Cancer Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece.
Grapatsas K, Leivaditis V, Tsilogianni Z, Haussmann E, Kaplunov V, Dahm M, Zarogoulidis P, Hohenforst-Schmidt W, Tsakiridis K, Foroulis C, Paliouras D, Barbetakis N, Kosan B. Epidemiology, risk factors, symptomatology, TNM classification of Non Small Cell Lung Cancer. An overview while waiting the 8th TNM classification. Oncomedicine 2017; 2:14-23. doi:10.7150/oncm.17097. Available from http://www.oncm.org/v02p0014.htm
Lung cancer is a primary health issue which preoccupies the health professional community worldwide. Lung cancer is one of the leading causes of death in both men and women in the developed countries. It is mainly divided into two types. The non small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and the small cell lung cancer (SCLC). The NSCLC is the most common type and consists the 87% of lung cancer overall. The staging and the therapeutic approach of NSCLC is based on TNM classification system. Currently the 7th revision is being used for the appropriate classification of the cancer stadium. By the end of 2016 a new 8th TNM classification is awaited.
Keywords: Lung cancer, Smoking, Asbestos, Radon, lung cancer symptomatology, TNM.